Wednesday, August 22, 2012

News from the Workbench

Hey guys,

sorry for the recent inactivity to all lurkers ;)  I´ve been away during the last week and no progress was made in regards to wargaming. Now that I´ve returned, the Battle for Mul Qasr continues (we´re halfway through) and painting has also commenced.

Since my return, a new batch of minis has arrived: When I came home, a new package of Afghan Civilians from Britannia Miniatures was waiting for me in the mailbox when I checked it in the morning.
To my surprise, another package arrived the same day - after only 4 days delivery from England, including a weekend, which is really, really quick!
So, what about the content of the mysterious, quick package?

Curassiers!

Right - Renaissance ;)
I´ve just finished the first unit of Curassiers for my Renaissance Army. The package came from Pendraken and contains an army of 10mm units. Though the standard scale for this period in my region seems to be 15mm, I´ve decided to go for 10s for my new Pike & Shot-Army. The reasoning is simple: 15mm-minis cost a lot more per Figure (2-4 times as much). So even if I put more soldiers on my bases (about 2,5x for Pike and 1,5x for shot - cavalry is 1:1) I can build a larger army for the same money.

As the number of Shotte-Bases is roughly double the number of Pike-stands, I need about 1,8 times more minis than with 15mm. If you count cavalry as well, the ratio declines.

Thus, I can build TWO armies for the same price, which makes me completely independent from finding opponents with suitable armies. I can play with everyone who is interested without paying more.
Furthermore, the larger number of minis looks much better in the dense infantry-formations. Formations of 20 Pikemen look much cooler than 8 minis. You´ll see for yourself very soon ;)

That means: Only advantages for 10mm! Even the need to paint more minis is somewhat appealing, as you get to spend more time without running out of minis to paint (though I have to admit after painting the Curassiers, that it can be cumbersome to paint such numbers of identical minis - I guess I´ll have to optimize my strategy to avoid the feel of repetitiveness)


Chaaaarge!

The sudden and unexpectedly early arrival of the Renaissance-minis meant that only little progress was made with the Afghan Civilians. However, I already primed them and four of them have gotten a treatment with Medium Grey. I´ll paint some of the women soon, as I need them as pseudo-POWs in the ongoing Mul Qasr-Battle.

Civilians and Goats

The campaign has not progressed since the last update, as fighting the battle via Mail takes so much time - even with 1 turn per day it would take more than a week for 8 turns to play.And sometimes we don´t even manage to get daily turns done. If anyone is interested, I might be willing to do some outsourcing of smaller, less decisive engagements to other players... 

So far, so good!
Until next time ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment