I´ve done it again, the blog has gone silent for quite a while now as I didn´t have much motivation to post here. But rejoice, it got some cool stuff finished and in the pipeline for the blog that will appear shortly.
I´m starting today to finish something I left off back in december.
Remember my attempt to record a step by step documentation on painting a Blightking? I never posted the second part - until now.
So I dug out the photos from december and prepped them for you.
First however, the final result to wet some appetite:
Well - too bad blogger doesn´t like transparency. He was supposed to look like this
The next step was to paint the left armor. I chose to glaze them in a light purple towards the knee and upper leg, fading into a green towards the feet.
You can see on the palette that I´m not using pure purple - I believe the base color Hexed Lichen was modified with a bit of ivory to achieve a more pastel effect. The transition was achieved with a wet blend.
Like the armor on the torso, the trick was to apply thin layers and leave the pre-shading from the priming stage shining through to create shadows and highlights.
At this stage, I also painted the belt using different shades created with cork brown as a starting point.
Next, I added edge highlighting on all the armor parts - I went with a mix of orange, tan and ivory to create the light orange edge highlight and re-used my purple and green with added parts of ivory to highlight the leg armor.
The hood was painted in a brown, not sure if I mixed it on the palette or took something straight from the pot - again, the edge highligh was just base color + added parts of tan/ivory.
As you can see, at this stage the hands and straps on the armor have also been painted in. The straps are using the same colors as the hood
Next I painted the armor on the arms in Dark Sea Blue and highlighted them using the same technique as above - no pictures though.
That left me with just the antler - they were rather tricky, I finally settled for giving them a very suble glaze of browns to create a natural look. I think I used Agrax Earthsahde here. The rotten interior was shaded with green and re-established the shadows by brushing in some very dark brown.
Towards the end I also hit the blades with some rusty orange pigments that I watered down and slapped onto the blade to create the rust effects.
Last, I painted the base in a very swampy theme like the rest of my BlightKings and mounted the mini. So, here he is: